Project Freedom Wings: European Commission Program “Criminal Justice” 2007-2013
The European project “Freedom Wings – Identification and dissemination of European best practices about restorative justice and evaluation of the role and the application of the mediation and the alternative measures in the EU member states has been managed by Università degli Studi di Sassari (Italy) together with Associazione ISES (Italy), Commune of Lemba – Interfusion Services (Cyprus) and ERFC -European Regional Framework for Co-operation (Greece).
Restorative Justice proposes a reformulation of the relationship between social partners, involving all the interested systems, including the Justice leading players, giving new meaning to relationships. There are various contexts in which we can think in a restorative perspective as school, family, communities, condominiums, etc. Restorative Justice, intended as community justice, represents the opportunity to repair the damage caused by any conflicting act outside judicial contexts, encouraging a culture of legality and empowering citizens in the process justice (Patrizi and Hares 2011; Wright, 2010).
In this perspective, the project strived to collect, disseminate and promote transnational best practices in relation to programs of Restorative Justice and Mediation, recommended by European and international provisions as a tool against recidivism, to promote “respect for rights, needs and interests of victims, offenders, community and all other parties”, and to alternative measures to detention, starting from the practices adopted by the operator of Justice.
The main activities of the Freedom Wings implemented throughout the Project’s lifecycle were the following:
- Analysis and mapping of the experiences of restorative justice and criminal mediation.
2. Analysis of the mediator system, their cultural profile, training and field experience.
3. Organization of interprofessional focus groups.
4. Organization of multiagency focus groups on reparative justice.
5. Establishment of a technical-scientific table for monitoring actions.
6. Organization of seminars and / or study visits in the participating countries with the involvement of experts and institutions.