By utilizing innovative approaches intended for regions and organizations, our Interfusion’s in house Incubator (WhatIF) is able to deliver outcomes which can be nationally significant for several areas of interest such as Infrastructure provision; Water and Food Security; Environmental Sustainability; Industry Diversification; Healthy and Liveable Communities, Tourism etc.
In particular its potential outcomes are aligned to some of the most essential EU and National priorities and goals:
1. Europe’s ongoing goals for a smart, sustainable and inclusive economy as being descriptively captured in the Europe 2020 Strategy http:// ec.europa.eu/ europe2020/index_en.htm – WhatIF addresses sustainable economic growth by setting up innovation platforms in Cyprus and the EU that can have positive changes in efficiency, productivity, quality and competitiveness, as well as reduction of resource consumption.
2. Modernisation of higher education (Communication from the Commission, Supporting growth and jobs –an agenda for the modernization of Europe’s higher education systems (http://ec.europa.eu/ europe2020/ index_en.htm) – By linking together research institutions and the market, WhatIF intents to elevate the skills capacity of participating students, as well as their entrepreneurship mentality and future employability competences.
3. Supporting the development of innovation to increase the focus in research and development, and to better convert research into improved goods, services, or processes (http://ec.europa.eu/ growth/industry/ innovation/). The ongoing workings of the Incubator contributes in this priority by designing bottom-up, cross-sectoral workspaces, which foresees the emergence of new innovative products/ services and mutual learning on innovation tools and methodologies;
4. Focusing on applicable innovation that can target the island’s prioritized societal challenges, such as demographic change, secure, clean and efficient energy, smart, green and integrated transport, climate action, environment, resource efficiency, etc. (https:// ec.europa.eu/ programmes/ horizon2020/en/h2020- section/societal- challenges) – WhatIF links resources and knowledge across different fields, technologies and disciplines covering activities from research to market whilst targeting innovation-related activities, such as piloting, demonstration and support for public procurement and market uptake.
5. Strengthening every link in the innovation chain, from ‘blue sky’ research to commercialisation – WhatIF supports the development of market value through solutions that meet new, unarticulated or existing needs in unique ways.